at the University of Waterloo
Automobile emissions pose a threat to human health as well as the environment. The various pollutants,
which include nitrogen oxides, carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, hydrocarbons, ozone, and suspended
particulate, are products of the burning of fossil fuels. They are a primary source of air pollution, causing
serious human health defects such as respiratory disorders (e.g. asthma and bronchitis). This air pollution
also contributes to acid rain and smog, which have widespread effects on areas far beyond where the
pollutants are emitted.
There are a number of long distance ride-sharing opportunities.
- The Turnkey Ride Board - the ride board, located in the Student Life
Centre, has been matching drivers and riders since 1987.
- Ride Exchange Inc. - a private enterprise linking drivers with riders
- Free Car-Pooling Service CarpoolTool.com
- Commuting within KW - Cambridge - Guelph
- UW's Bike Centre - to repair your bike on campus
- Bicycle Resource Centre - Recycle Cycles - ReconditionedBicycles to
buy and a facility to repair your bike.
The Walksafe Service is operated by UW Student
Security from 8pm-2am every day of the year. The service is complimentary, and
Student Security will escort you to and from campus destinations upon request.
Join the Commuter Challenge the first week of
- bike parking available year round
purchasing secure bike lockers for pilot project.
no idling guideline for UW fleet vehicles
reduced UW fleet - increased services
working on Clean Air Plan for UW
converted selected vehicles to propane
University of Waterloo Alternative Fuels Team
University of Waterloo Midnight Sun Solar Race Team
Student Projects Related to Transportation
Transportation Demand Management
UW Planning Graduate Students Project, May 2000
UW Waste Management Homepage.
Last updated on April 21, 2003. plc