WATgreen Advisory Committee Meeting
Minutes of the meeting held Thursday, June 12, 1997.
PRESENT: Patti Cook, Paul Eagles, Dennis Huber, Ian Fraser, Roydon Fraser, Donna Schell
1. Minutes of the May 22, 1997 meeting were approved.
- Dennis Huber stated that at the June Board of Governors meeting, the squirrel run property was sold and the funds from the property are under consideration.
- Roydon Fraser has contacted Gerry Schneider and requested ERS 285 be identified as either a technical elective or a complementary study course. The issue was to be discussed at today's (Thursday's) Engineering Faculty Operations Committee Meeting.
2. Laurel Creek Workshop Follow-up - Manuscript submissions
There are still three outstanding manuscripts. Dean Fitzgerald will try to get abstracts from the presenters. It was agreed the papers will have the same font and format. Patti Cook and Donna Schell will have the papers scanned at IST for the paper copy and to go on the web.
Patti Cook spoke with Heather White on including WATgreen to the Commission document. Heather said the document has been completed. None of the examples were published in the document and there is no mention of WATgreen.
Because of midterms, Jeremy Steffler emailed the update of the Student WATgreen Network. The contents of his email were:
- The SWN has nothing new to report, other than our Environment Week Quiz, which received great support from sponsors, although the actual number of quizzes submitted was very small. needless to say, anyone who entered won a prize..and we still have a few prizes left over!
- The negotiations with the FEDS are still in the works. No further action has been taken since the last meeting.
- If anyone has any questions for us, we can be reached at watgreen@watserv1.
5. Committee Members for ERS, AHS, Arts and Co-Chair Selections
The faculty selection for committee members for September are:
- ERS - James Kay is thinking about it
- AHS - Paul Eagles, will sit for another 2 year term
- Arts - Len Eckel?
- Roydon Fraser of Engineering, Winston Cherry of Mathematics and Hamish Duthie of Science have one more year as committee members.
- Patti Cook and Paul Eagles agreed to co-chair for one more year.
- (addendum: Len Eckel has agreed to sit for another term)
6. Other Business
- Paul Eagles received a call that the AHS Alumni Newsletter would like to submit an article on the Laurel Creek workshop. They will get in touch with Patti Cook for details.
- Paul Eagles asked if there is a policy for planting alumni trees. Paul would like to get the list of species of trees that are planted on campus and whether the committee can be involved in the selection of species. Paul mentioned most trees on campus are European species but would like to see more native species on campus. He would like Larry Lamb of Environmental Studies and Roger Suffling of Urban and Regional Planning in the selection process.
- Ian Fraser asked about recycling batteries-whether there is somewhere we can send them (other than as hazardous waste for $150/drum as U of T does) or do they go to the landfill site. Patti Cook will look into this. Legally, they can go to the landfill.
7. Next Meeting
The next meeting will be held either September 2 or 3, 1997.
[To the top of this page]
Last updated: December 2, 1997