Central Stores, East Campus Hall
What it is....
- Surplus is a means of keeping track of goods on campus
- ALSO... it's a great place for students, faculty, staff and
members to get cheap reused items! (i.e. old computer parts, chairs, desks,
How can we get this great stuff?
- The surplus dept. holds quarterly sales, the next one should be held
in late August.... Watch for an announcement in the Gazette!
- Otherwise, you can drop by East Campus Hall and check out what is
What we did...
- We evaluated the flow of surplus goods on campus to determine if
functioning sustainably (economically, environmentally, and socially viable).
- We: conducted interviews,
conducted surveys (student and faculty/staff)
examined surplus records (Jan. 1, 1995 - June 30, 1995)
What we found...
Most students are not aware of how the surplus goods dept. works
- The majority of faculty/staff are aware of the surplus dept., but most
do not realize that they have personal access as well as through work
- Many items were sold in March (when the last sale occurred)
- Computer equipment make up the majority of items sent to surplus,
but the majority of items being bought from surplus are furniture.
What does this mean?
- Surplus Goods is functioning in a sustainable manner, however,
there is room for improvement...
- putting up-to-date inventory and information on e-mail &
- advertising in the Imprint and the community radio station
- set hours for public access & publicize
- sign in Campus Centre on buy/sell board
- information package sent to all new students
- policy change- departments must check surplus before purchasing new
- up-to-date inventory list distribution.
Thanks to all the staff of Central Stores, especially Ken